This is a vocabulary revision game for E8 and other intermediate students. Let your students try their hand in the ‘Secret word’ alphabet game. The game is obviously just a starting point. After playing the game I suggest one or two of the following follow-up tasks:
- Give your students 2-3 minutes. They must add one more word to as many letters as possible.
- Choose one letter. Give your students 2-3 minutes. They must write down as many words as possible beginning with this letter.
- Ask your students to give the definitions of the words which were not the correct answers in the game.
- Some of the words which were not the correct answers actually are fake words, they do not exist. Ask your students to identify them and then to give them meaning and write definitions.
- Ask your students to make stories in pairs or small groups in which they’d use the ‘fake words’ in the ‘new meaning’. It will be the other group’s task to deduce the meaning of the fake words from the context.
- Give your students one exam topic, for example, School, Social Life or Sport and 2-3 minutes to write as many words beginning with a chosen letter as possible.
- Give your students one exam topic, for example, Work, Food or Culture and 2-3 minutes to write as many words each beginning with a different letter as possible.
- Give your students a few exam topics, for example, Health, Nature, House, Man, Shopping, Crime and Science. Choose one letter. Let the students write one word in each category beginning with this letter.